day 12- candlelight
Now unfortunately I must blacklist hobbit tags, we don’t get desolation until the 26th D:
I’m still gonna advent tho :)
day 11- warmth
So I finally installed xkit the other day and I’ve been reading the tags you guys leave on my stuff.
I want to hug all of you you’re so sweet.
day 10- hot chocolate
ivorylungs started this neat little art meme thing called ‘bad art is good art’ and I wanted in.
Looking at old stuff is a little embarrassing, but I’m sharing for the good of the art community. And myself.
If I may, I wanna share some tips and things that have helped me improve:
- Use reference. I’ve noticed this to be frowned upon by people outside of the art community but honestly it is one of the most useful things an artist can do for themselves. Even better than references, draw from life where possible.
- Keep a journal. Collect images that inspire you, photos, magazine cutouts, useful articles, exhibition flyers, write down ideas, everything. Alternatively keep a folder on your computer. Pull it out every time you feel particularly crappy and uninspired. I’ve been keeping a journal for the last 3 years, and it never fails to inspire when I’m feeling low.
- Try all kinds of mediums. Even if you’ve never tried them before. You never know, you might find that something really works for you.
- In regards to style, don’t force it. I’ve seen so many people try to draw in a very specific way every time and it can end up looking really forced and you make no progress. Style comes naturally, just do your thing and it will develop itself.
- Draw all the time. Even when you’re not motivated to. If you want to be an artist professionally, you’ll need to be able to do this, otherwise you’ll be out of a job.
- This goes without saying, but practice. All. the. time. And remember that progress doesn’t happen overnight. It took me ten years to get where I am, and I’m still learning. It’s frustrating, but we all go through it.
- Don’t let the haters get you down. Just remember that for every 1 hater, there are 10 more people who think you’re choice. Keep those that support you close, and ignore those that try to rain on your parade.
- Lastly, and most importantly, draw what you want to. You wanna fanart? You fanart. You wanna abstract? You abstract. You wanna create original content? You create original content. You wanna draw hot guys aggressively making out? You draw hot guys aggressively making out. You’re the one holding the pencil.
Of course, I’m in no way an expert, I’m still learning myself, but hopefully these points help at least somebody out a little.
So yeah. If you ever feel crappy about your art and wonder why you can’t be as good as the artists who inspire you, remember-
Everybody starts somewhere.
day 9- carols
day 8- crackers
don’t look I’m having a bad art day
Day 7- Wrapping paper
…I took it literally.
Feel free to use on your blogs, just make sure to give credit where credit’s due!
Day 6- bells
No fancy today, my tablet is being an ass >:(
day 5- traditions
day 4- Snowfall
Day 3- Mulled Wine
Day 2- Gingerbread
Day 1- ‘mistletoe’
I’m running off the high of completing sketchavember and going straight into another challenge, 25 days of the hobbit!
don’t stop me now
Sketchavember 2013 day 30- aaand a Tommy to round out the month.
I’m done! Feels good to complete challenges like this :D